With winter 2015 comes some harsh elements that can many times cause damages or leaks to your South Brunswick NJ roof. Here are some things you can do to prepare your NJ roof for winter, and prevent problems in the future:
Tips From a Central NJ Roofing Contractor
- Keep your roof clean. Debris is one of the leading causes of roof damage and leaks. Ensure that it is free of dead leaves, broken off branches, garbage and other waste.
- Cut overhanging tree branches. If you have trees with branches that hang over your roof, have the branches trimmed. Snow and winds will cause the branches and debris from them to fall onto your roof.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters lead to ice dams, which can cause major problems in your attic and the upper floor of your home. Be sure your gutters are clear of leaves and other debris before cold temperatures become too frequent.
- Upgrade your attic insulation. A well-insulated attic can prevent a lot of roof leaks, since many winter leaks are caused by melted snow from too much heat escaping through the roof you’re your home. Insulation decreases heat transfer, making this scenario less likely to occur.
- Use a roof rake. These handy products are ideal for removing excess snow from your roof. This is another great way to help prevent roof leaks & ice dams. Just take care not to snag the rake on your gutters as you draw it back down.
Biondo Contracting provides roof repairs, roof replacements, roof installations, and many more roofing services to the Central NJ area in towns such as East Brunswick, South Brunswick, Hillsborough, Bedminster, South Plainfield, Green Brook, Avenel, Somerset, Bridgewater, and many more. Call today for a free roofing estimate.