Now that it’s winter in the South Brunswick area, your roof is at risk of getting ice dams. Ice dams can cause serious damages to your roof. they form when snow on your roof melts and collects at the bottom of the roof and refreezes, creating a dam of ice that traps water which eventually can saturate your roof. That can result in you needing to contact a South Brunswick roofer for roof repairs.
Here are some ways that you handle ice dams:
- Brush the snow off of your roof after every snowstorm with a rake.
- Clear the gutters and downspouts.
- Insulate your attic to prevent frequent melting and freezing of snow on your roof.
- Seal areas where warm are can leak out. Some areas include vent pipes, exhaust fans, chimneys, light fixtures, and attic hatches.
- Waterproof your roof to prevent water from penetrating the roof membrane.
- Try knocking off already formed ice dams with a rake. If you cant, consider hiring a South Brunswick roofing contractor.
- Use calcium chloride ice melt, not rock salt to melt ice on your roof
- Knock off icicles that collect at the gutters.
Biondo Contracting is a South Brunswick area roofing company that does roof installations, roof repairs, and ice dam removals all over Central NJ in towns such as Piscataway, Hillsborough, North Brunswick, East Brunswick, Dayton, Kendall Park, and many more. Call today for a South Brunswick free roofing estimate.