There are quite a few things out there in nature that can pose a threat or nuisance to your Middlesex County NJ roof. It is important to know what they are so you can help prevent some of them from affecting your roof. While some natural threats such as weather can’t be prevented, there are other things that can be.
- The Sun: The strong heat and ultraviolet rays during hotter months will over time cause deterioration more quickly in our climate.
- Rain: When water gets underneath your roofing materials, it can work its way to the roof deck and cause the structure to rot. This can cause the growth of mildew and mold in other parts of the house, including walls, ceilings, insulation and electrical systems.
- Wind: Strong winds can lift shingle edges forcing water and debris under them as well as totally rip shingles off your roof.
- Snow and Ice: Melting snow often refreezes at the overhang of the roof where it is cooler forming ice dams. This causes water to back up under the shingles and seep into the interior because it can’t be drained into the gutters. Gutters and downspouts can fill with ice and tear away from the house do to the weight and can cause even more drainage problems.
- Moss and Algae: Moss can grow on moist shingles and shakes work its way into a wood deck and structure bringing moisture. Algae grows in damp, shaded areas on the roof and makes a black or green streak stain. It can also cause rot and deterioration over time if left untreated. Trees and bushes should be trimmed away from homes to prevent additional damp areas, and gutters should be kept clean to ensure proper drainage.
- Trees and leaves: High winds can cause untrimmed branches to brush against the roof causing scratches and punctures. Heavy precipitations can cause branches and leaves to break off onto your roof. Keep branches trimmed and leaves out of your drainage system.
Biondo Contracting provides roof repairs, roof replacements, roof installations, and many more roofing services to the Central NJ area in towns such as East Brunswick, South Brunswick, Hillsborough, Bedminster, South Plainfield, Green Brook, Avenel, Somerset, Bridgewater, Highland Park, and many more. Call today for a free roofing estimate.