Performing your own Monroe roof repair and even determining where damages are isn’t an easy job. Because of that, below are some things to do and consider if you think you need Monroe roof repair services as well as ways to prevent damages:
Tips for Monroe Roof Repair & Maintenance
- Make Safety a Priority. Trying to find a leak as soon as it happens is something that could put you in the hospital. Playing on a roof while it’s raining or covered with ice and snow isn’t the ideal way to find a leak. Trying to temporarily fix a leak could be highly dangerous as well. If you want to do it right, there is no quick-fix. Take your time, and be very patient and careful to wait for weather conditions to become less extreme. If you have no roof experience, you may be better off hiring a professional for Monroe roof repair services.
- Take the Proper Precautions. Being on a roof will put the body in positions that are not comfortable or safe. Make sure to wear rubber sole shoes to prevent slipping. Also use a harness and always work with a partner.
- Hose Down the Roof. Take a garden hose and go up to the roof and start spraying in different locations to find the leak in need of Monroe roof repair. Wait if it’s wintertime because it’s not safe to run water on the roof when it’s below freezing.
- Keep Gutters Clean. One of the most common areas and causes for roof leaks are clogged gutters. Gutters that have not been cleaned can cause the water to build up during rain and damages may require Monroe roof repair services.
- Avoid Dry Rot. Dry rot isn’t related to any type of water damage, but lack of ventilation. If a Monroe roof repair is needed right in the middle of the roof, there is a chance that the plywood might be deteriorating. The roof will actually sag in and cause the roof shingles to get brittle, crack and then leak. Preventing dry rot consists of installing a ridge vent, which will only work if there is a soffit vent. Holes have to be drilled through the soffit vents so cool air comes in through the bottom and pushes the hot air out through the top.
- Prevent Ice Buildup. In the wintertime, ice has no problem building up under the roof membrane, shingles and gutters. The ice builds back up when it reaches the wall line where the house is heated and it creates an interior drip. Proper ventilation, rain and ice shields along with installing a drip edge will help prevent this problem.
- Fix the Roof Boots. Flashing, roofing, ice damping and skylights are all obvious places for potential leaks. One thing people often miss is the rubber boots. It’s where the roof fence comes up that you find roof boots. If they dry up they will cause major leaks. You can purchase a new roof boot in a local hardware store. You may have to remove some of the shingles, lay a better tar under it and put it back in place. You may want to call a contractor for Monroe roof repair if you don’t feel confident in what you’re doing.
- Inspect Roofing Materials. Sometimes shingles are faulty and will begin to crack after they’ve been nailed down. Faulty installation with nails and shingles can also play a big part in leaks. Nails could be nailed too low and it will start pushing back up. Make sure to always check merchandise before getting on the roof. If they were installed poorly, Monroe roof repair services may be a good idea.
Looking for Reliable Monroe Roof Repair Services?
Biondo Roofing has over thirty years of roofing experience and is based in New Jersey. Biondo is a trustworthy and award-winning company. They always prioritize placing customer satisfaction at the very top of the list. They aren’t just looking for a quick buck, but want to establish life-long relationships with their roofing customers. They provide free estimates on roofs and roofing projects and projects are supervised by the owner himself. All of this is just a few reasons we recommend Biondo Roofing as the #1 Manalapan Roof Repair Company for 2017!