Getting a roof estimate, preferably a FREE roof estimate, is something every NJ home or business owner should do before agreeing to get roofing work done. Failing to do so can lead to going over-budget from fees that weren’t predetermined. Getting a roofing estimate done will also allow you to meet and converse with the NJ roofing contractor you choose before they go right to work. This way, you can get a bit of an idea of what they are like and how they deal with their customers. When your NJ roofer is coming to give you a roof estimate, ask them the following important questions. The answers should determine whether it’s worth hiring them for the job.
Things to Ask a Roofer During a Roofing Estimate
- Do you have a license and/or insurance? If the roofer isn’t insured, you could be held liable for medical expenses from injuries that may occur to the workers on your property. The contractor’s license should also be in good standing for your municipality.
- How safety-conscious are your workers? Listen for specific measures that are taken to ensure worker safety (harnesses, heavy equipment, etc.). Don’t settle for a vague statement like, “Well, they try not to fall off the roof!”
- What are your references? Try to get two or three references of past jobs and then check them out. Not only should you examine the work in person, but ask homeowners if the roofing projects were completed on time and at a cost in accordance with the NJ roofing estimate.
- Will you obtain the proper permits? Most neighborhoods or municipalities require some type of permit before embarking on a roofing job. If the contractor refuses to handle the procurement of these permits, you should definitely take your business elsewhere.
- What are your payment terms? Ask what forms of payment the NJ roofing contractor accepts. More importantly, ask about any deposits that are necessary. Any deposit shouldn’t be more than about 10% of the total estimate, or be paid until the materials arrive at the work site. If an NJ roofer demands cash up front, stay away!
- What may cause a variance from the price listed in the estimate? Though they can’t predict the future, a good NJ roofing contractor can list possible issues that may result in the job costing more such as discovering extensive water damage underneath an old roof, for example.
- How long will the job take? The NJ roofing contractor should not only give you a timeline for the project’s completion, but also outline his policy for weather-related delays. Also, find out if the contractor will start on any other jobs before your roofing project is completed.
- Will you be subcontracting any of the work? If so, get all of the pertinent information about the subcontractors (name, license, insurance, etc.). Then make sure you find out specifically who will be overseeing the actual work on-site.
- What are the relevant warranties? Roofing materials will come with product warranties. But you should also inquire about whether the contractor guarantees the labor and installation itself. Reputable NJ roofers will stand behind their work with a labor warranty.
- In what condition will you leave the property? Make sure the NJ roofer agrees to clean up all shingle pieces, wood remnants, and other assorted debris before he departs. That’s part of what you’re paying them for.
Looking for an NJ Roofing Estimate from an Honest and Experienced NJ Roofing Company?
Biondo Contracting is a Toms River roofer that offers free roofing estimates, roof replacement services, roof installation services, roof repairs, siding services, and many other roof services to the much of the NJ area. If you are interested in finding out more information, contact Biondo Roofing today.. Call (732)257-2926 or visit the website: